Sunday, July 4, 2010

Short take on my 4th this year and last

Tonight as I watched 4 towns fireworks going on at the same time from the Weav' I was reminded of last 4th of July. I sat in my own apartment watching Milwaukee's fireworks go off not far away. Much like when I look back on this day I doubt I'll remember the details of a day with little fanfare. However I will remember the mindset I was in and where my life stood.

Last year at this time life was exciting. I was nearing the end of my first year in Milwaukee and at my job at the Bradley Center. It was my last month at my apartment and in a couple weeks I'd be moving just south of the city to an awesome place with Neil and Dan. After taking all life had thrown at me I got lost in the fireworks, despite not being a big fan. I remember telling myself how different next 4th of July would be. Little did I know how right/wrong I would be.

Of course we all know July 2009 was a major swing month for me last year and ultimately led to my return this past May. The fireworks that took place between then and now re-shaped a life I thought that had already had squared out. This month, is my final month for rent back to Milwaukee and with it the memories of it often come back. I've had a hard time working on the "farewell Milwaukee" video due to the feeling I have like it's not over. Also hard to find time to sit at the computer for too long with all of the activities and softball I'm a part of.

Basically there's been a lot to get me where I am today... even if it's in the same place. Cause here I was watching the fireworks from the Weav' deck yet again like I had done so many times before. However, things are different this time. I'm excited for the future for the first time in awhile because tonight I remembered how quick it can change. Thanks fireworks.

NOTE: I'm still not overly impressed with fireworks and still believe that we should have something better and maybe less expensive to watch explode on our nation's birthday. However i appreciate the moments fireworks provide. A moment to look up at something beautiful and hope those still moments on 4th of July nights could last a little longer when things are going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment