Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The past week... the 802 welcomes me back.

A week ago I sat in my room in Oak Creek, Wisconsin. With a heavy heart I struggled to take pieces of the many things in my head and write them in a manner that could make since to anyone. I wove from idea to idea, took time to compose myself, and even quoted Miley Cyrus.

A week later I'm more composed. Things in Vermont are falling in to place gradually. It's going to be a long process, but so far so good.

I arrived back last Friday evening and joined an already scheduled bash. I was attacked for a hug so hard by one, Jess Buchanan, that she actually had a concussion! It was good to reunite with some old friends, and the next evening the official return bash scheduled for the Weav' was awesome too. Lots of people stopped in and a great time was had by all. I had a little more to drink than usual, but it was a fun time.

This week I've been spending some time with friends doing a bunch of different stuff. Monday was cards at the Weav'. Tuesday was softball with Jay, and an evening at the Weav' to watch 'Lost' like old times. Wednesday was the arrival of my stuff in the truck, an interview at UVM, and an evening with Justin and Michelle to watch the Canadiens game 7 victory over the Pittsburgh Penguins. Tomorrow it's time to get me a local bank account, pay some bills, and set up my room a little with the things I'll need rather than living completely out of boxes for who knows how long.

My dad and step-mom are out of town right now, which also reminds me to congratulate my step-brother Jamie and his wife on the birth of their second child. Therefore I've had the pad mostly to myself as I look after their dog, Dusty, and cat, Boo-Boo. Things will be much different when they return but it's been nice to have some alone time as I transfer back to Vermont living. I am so grateful to be able to live here so I can save money on rent because I have to pay rent for a couple more months back to Milwaukee until the lease runs out. However being a 31-year-old guy who likes to have his own space... at some point this will bother me. But I realize sacrifices had to made to make this whole thing work.

The pieces are all in sight but it will be a while until I feel "all the way back." My patience will be aided by my knowledge that things will only get better and are not terribly far away.

There have been many things that have made me feel weird already... mostly little things. I'll adjust. Sometimes I get the feeling like I'm on vacation but I always remind myself, and others, that there's no rush to see me in a limited time... I'm not going anywhere this time.

Next week I'll begin working again at UVM. It may still be a little while before the wheels turn to get me on full-time, but they have to take the ice out, host graduation, and then put the ice back in the next few weeks so I'll have plenty of work as a "part-timer." Hopefully not for too long. The interview today went about as well as anyone could have ever hoped for and I was glad to see that everyone there really welcomes my comeback. I'm excited to work with a great group of guys again and share some of what I've learned while away. I really have been impressed with the way things have changed at UVM even as I was leaving and I can't wait to get back to doing what I do. It's the major cog in why I moved back now and the biggest part of making me feel that "all the way back."

In fact everyone has been really glad that I'm back and it may sound obvious to say, but it's meant a lot to hear the words I've heard from folks leading up to and after my return. I've been praised for my risk taking ability, or "balls" as the kids say, for taking a shot at my dream and walking away from a great situation to try something on my own. I've been missed in a comedy stand-point with my wacky views and even hate for Boston.

Mostly I'm glad to be back to be a bigger part of my friends lives again. I missed being there for a friend in need. I missed lending an ear, or opinion. I missed seeing their families grow, or being there for them if they shrunk. I've realized this fact lately: I have a lot of friends that I would hug hello, and even more that would get a solid handshake. It kind of made me realize that I've touched a lot of people in a positive way and I form close relationships with many people. I was away from them all so long I think I forgot just how many there were.

So as week 1 of being back in Vermont comes to a close I will welcome my Dad home (and happy birthday on the 13th!), and also continue re-carving out my place here. I still have to find that future place to live, get my license renewed, do all that car stuff, and finish paying bills from Milwaukee. It's been an interesting first week and I hope that the climb I'm on back to the top of life in Vermont goes a little easier than my attempts in Milwaukee. So far... so good. Thanks to everyone!

A quick note that I'm working on a farewell Milwaukee video, and thanks blog. My computer time has been shorter since moving back but I'll work on it as I can. I refuse to rush it and have it not be something I'm proud of. The folks there deserve better than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment