Sunday, January 19, 2014

The State of The Pich Address 2014 / From Fieldhouse to Forum Part 1

It's been far too long since I last checked in. In fact I was recounting my trip to Seattle. Ironically the weekend I was there the Denver Broncos played the Seattle Seahawks in a pre-season game that the Seattle papers said could be a Super Bowl preview. I laughed at the thought of Seattle being up to the task, but earlier today as I start writing this we learned that to be true. 

I don't intend to go back and finish the description of the best vacation ever, but that takes nothing away from that trip which also was the 2013 Trip of the Year Pich' Award Winner (announced now, but really is anyone shocked?). 

On that trip I came up with the #DoMoreAwesomeThings or #DMAT initiative. That trip awoke something in me. I needed to be able to get out and do more awesome stuff, but why didn't I? Mostly lack of money. I set the summer of 2012 as my goal to leave VT back in 2010 before I even moved back from Milwaukee. My time in VT was growing stale. I wasn't satisfied with what I did, what I got paid to do it, or where my life was or where it was heading. The trip to Seattle was a wake up call I desperately needed to get back out there and search for that "more" that I can be.

Soon after returning others saw that spark in me too. People often asked when I was moving to Seattle, and to be honest it was the first place I started sending resumes. As time wore on I broadened the search. Eventually looking in the last place you ever thought I'd look...

Tangent: For folks that know me you know how much I like to share. For the past couple of years I shared less and less. I felt I had very little worth sharing and what I did have that I valued I didn't wish to share. As this blog continues, and I think it will be quite long, know that I have done so much in the past few months that is worth sharing. And I want to share it with you. Partially because I'm proud to have things to share, and partially as a way of thanking everyone who got me to this point. With me leaving, all the working, traveling, packing, the holidays... it was hectic, and I don't feel I gave a proper good-bye except for at UVM where the final day at work couldn't have been much sweeter. But I'll get to that... Along the way Ill also hand out some Pich' Awards, and tell you how much we have all lost in comedy and entertainment by my lack of a video camera. Soon that problem will be remedied. Until then read these words...

On November 11th I woke up and readied to search for jobs as usual on my day off. I found a job managing a rink in East Boston and sent my resume online. 15 minutes later they called to setup an interview for that Thursday. So secretly I told a few fibs and made my way down for the interview. Despite locking my keys in my Jeep not far from the office I made it there on time. 

During the interview I was vocal and earnest about why I was there. I wanted to do more than I was doing, and I wanted to earn more money. I'm still not exactly sure what I sold them on, I've still only seen the people I interviewed with once since I was hired, but I could tell when I left it went well because they had me stop by another rink that they would rather perhaps have me at. That's when I met the Chelmsford Forum and Casey Murdough (2013 Male Rookie of the Year). I had actually met Casey before a couple times at NEISMA conventions, but never in Vermont where we are both from. He worked for years in Essex at the rink there where his dad ran the building and he went to school. He had moved down to the Forum about 4 years ago. Casey had done a great job of maintaining the Forum and I could tell from things that were said that the company, FMC Ice Sports, was going to miss him. I guess maybe they felt another dude from Vermont was the best guy to step in mid-season and take the reigns?

11 Days after that Thursday I was called and offered the job. I took sometime to think about it and after weighing all the particulars I couldn't find any good reason not to go. The money was so much more than I made at UVM and I could train during December on my off days at UVM. Everything just started to fall in to place which was good because all of the sudden I had to relocate in a month!

Thus began a hectic December during which I only had glimpses of the holidays. If not for Brittni, her roommates, and family I might have forgotten the holidays entirely. I still feel like I missed out on a lot of it. I didn't really get gifts for people with my money tied up in a move. I did help get a Christmas tree, make a Gingerbread hockey rink, and take part in an epic unwrapping experience at Brit's family's place.

The farewell tour began at UVM. The travel began down to Chelmsford on the weekends returning on Tuesdays (they put me up in a hotel). While there and not working I setup places to look at to live. Then when I was back in VT I often spent time packing and trying to organize my move to wherever I ended up.

Mini-Tangent: Throughout this time I noticed that as I got ready to leave Vermont for the 3rd time, that unlike the other times where I only thought of the excitement and newness... this time I was sad to leave. My final days at UVM brought tears to my eyes as did saying good-bye to Sadie. Even not saying good-bye to some made me saddest. But at the end of the day then, and even more so now, I know I did the right thing for me. Not a doubt in my mind. I like that I'm only 3 hours away from home this time. I live in a bordering state for crying out loud. However this time I was smart enough to realize how much I've missed the 802 in the past. How much it shaped me as a man, and how wherever I go and whatever I do... even if I am embarrassed sometimes of the Vermont stereotypes and truths... I will always be proud to be a Vermonter!

And we're back. The last few weeks seemed to race by. And as the year came to an end I realized that I started the new gig on Jan. 1st! Talk about starting a new year differently! On my last trip down for training I headed back for Vermont on Christmas Eve. I had one last place to look at in the morning before I decided on which of the other places I'd seen, all of which I wasn't crazy about, I would live at. That's when I met Heidi. Tucked away not far from the major shopping area of Nashua, NH lies the town of Hudson. I met Heidi at her place and could tell right away she was pretty chill. We spoke for about a half hour during which she gave me the tour and then offered me the place starting whenever. I was further honored to learn that I was the only decent person she had met in the several months she had the place posted on Craigslist.

So at the last second I had found the perfect spot for me. Room bigger than my old one but at the same price. Therefore, with my making more money, I'll be able to pay off old debts, and eventually do that thing called, "Saving." I mean at some point in the next couple years I could actually afford a house, and that wasn't happening at UVM anytime soon. I mean I love the place, you know I do, but I was sick of having to have a second job to make ends meet or be able to afford food, clothes, gas, and basic things. If not for the painting job I picked up over the summer I would have never been able to go to Seattle. The #DMAT initiative may have never been born.

As the final days arrived I thought it and odd coincidence that the Catamount Cup was hosting not only Canisius & Clarkson but also UMass-Lowell. The Chelmsford Forum (formerly known as the Tully Forum) was the home of UMass-Lowell hockey for many years before they built a new downtown arena closer to campus. They still practice at the Forum on occasion in fact. I introduced myself to their staff throughout the weekend and then watched as the Riverhawks and Catamounts both won their games but with a last-second goal by UVM they won the overall goals tiebreaker and were declared Catamount Cup Champs. It was the best-case scenario for me as the new home team and the forever home team won both games and the Cats won the cup. It was a fitting end to my career there and the guys even wished me good luck via the scoreboard during my final ice. I even took an extra lap to wave good-bye to the fans. I will miss UVM game days more than you could ever know. The weekend was perfect and I will forever remember the send-off, well wishes, and great moments!
 

In the coming days I will get back to writing more. I will finish this mega-blog to update everyone on how it's going. This pretty much takes you up to when I left. Next time I'll get in to the actual leaving, arrival, and first days on the job. A polar vortex, non-working heaters, and growing pains sure made it interesting. Then of course the weekends around the Companion-Bailey wedding! So much to tell... This guy is off to bed for tonight. If anyone has an in for Super Bowl tickets let this guy know!

From Fieldhouse to Forum Part 1 was brought to you by:

Market Basket - A grocery store chain down here that is pretty cool.

Center Sports - The only place to get Chelmsford Lions gear!

&

Best Western Hotels - "We beat out several other Westerns for the title. Come see how the Best was won." 

(Those are all non-paying endorsements added for my own amusement, but c'mon that last slogan is good right?)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment